Honey-Whole Wheat Bread
adapted from Betty Crocker, 10th edition
makes 2 loaves with 16 servings each. 100 calories per serving.
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups King Arthur whole-grain white wheat flour
1/3 cup honey (or 1/3 cup evaporated cane juice, 1/4 cup additional water)
1/4 cup canola oil, plus extra for greasing bowls and bread pans
3 tsp salt
4 1/2 tsps bread machine yeast, or regular yeast
1) In a large bowl, beat whole wheat flour, honey, oil, salt and yeast until well mixed. Add warm water. Beat with electric mixer on low 1 minute, scraping bowl freuqently. Beat on medium 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Slowly add all-purpose flour until dough is soft, but not too sticky to handle. Let rest for 10 minutes.
2) Place on a lightly floured surface and knead about 10 minutes until dough is soft and springy. Coat large bowl with oil, then roll the dough ball in it to coat with oil. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place about 40-60 minutes or until doubled in size (I put mine outside since it was 87 degrees out, but I’ve also bowled water in the microwave, put the dough in the microwave alongside the water to rise). Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
1-2 can also be done by placing all ingredients, in that order in a bread machine and putting it on the “dough” cycle
3) Grease bottoms and sides of two large bread pans with oil and flour (or canola cooking spray when soy is OK). Gently push down dough to deflate, divide into two parts, then flatten each half into a 18 x 9 rectangle. Roll it into a 9″ cylinder, fold ends under, and place in pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30-50 minutes or until doubled in size.
3) I did this recipe as 5 small loaves on a cookie sheet and used the rolls as bread bowls for soup or cut into baby slices to serve with salad. That did not require a second rising time, and only took 30 min to bake. I have also made 8 small loaves of raisin bread by adding a thin layer of sugar, cinnamon, and raisins to the dough before rolling it into a cylinder.
4) Move oven rack to low so tops of pans will be in center of oven. Preheat to 375 degrees. Bake 40-45 minutes (less if doing rolls or small loaves) or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and place on wire rack to cool.
Honey-Whole Wheat Bread